Monday, November 5, 2012

Christmas Greetings

I love receiving Christmas cards. Unfortunately it's a tradition that's about to be forgotten. In these modern times when we can just send a text message or an email instead, that's often what we do. It just isn't quite the same, though, is it?

There's something really special and much more personal about a traditional, handwritten Christmas card. The sender took the time to find just the right card and then sit down and think about what he or she wanted to write especially for you. That's a nice thought...

Admitted: I'm not really good about it myself – but this year, I've decided I'm going to do it. SO – I've now bought a stack of Jane's handmade Christmas cards for the purpose. I'll write them all this November and get them in the mail.


The tradition of sending Christmas greetings in the form of a Christmas card goes back to 1843 – around the same time that the first Christmas seal was released. The first Christmas cards to be mailed were made in England, and the idea was well-received because just the next year, 25,000 Christmas cards were mailed, each with a personal Christmas greeting. /Vivian

12 comments:

  1. SO very true! I LOVE picking out pretty Christmas cards and then write in them and send them out. I will carry on this tradition as long as I am able.
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a tradition that is slowly disappearing but these lovely cards would be beautiful to give and receive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tack för all underbar inspiration..! ♥

    Knus/Kram
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am searching for a beautiful Christmas greeting card and after seeing your blog I think my problem has been solved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here! I still prefer to receive holiday greetings the traditional way.. I still cherish those old Christmas cards I've recieved from the previous christmas for their contain Christmas messages and greetings i will always keep in my heart. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said Jeanne. Nothing beats the traditional christmas greetings, and its sentimental value. even these days, I am still waiting for my friends and family to send me paper or homemade Christmas cards rather than electronic ones. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am finding a Christmas greeting cards when i have seen this blogs, i have got my answer. There are lots of Christmas Greetings and Christmas Messages..

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are so many free christmas greetings you can find online but nothing beats the homemade ones. This is a special card. Thank you. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you. Before, people are mulling over to what to write in a christmas card that is especially for their particular relatives and loved ones. But today, you can just pick a card with ready-made messages on them and done. I miss all those times that I recieve a heartfelt and personalized christmas greetings.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Anne Walker

    ReplyDelete
  10. Same here. I've always wanted to receive something traditional like paper-made christmas cards with my friend's and family's heartfelt Christmas wishes personally written by them. It's touching knowing that they have exerted effort to made them.

    ReplyDelete