Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Home-built JDL garden frame

This year I’ve planted plenty of basil and thyme in my old, home-built JDL garden frame. They’re our favorite herbs. Before long, it will abound in fresh, crisp leaves that only grow more and more, the more I pick.
I use the basil continuously throughout the season to make pesto, which I freeze in appropriate portions. This way I have enough for the whole winter. We use it for grilled meat, with pasta, on bread, in salad, stirred into sour cream as a dip or tossed with new potatoes.

I cut the thyme and freeze the stalks whole. Then they’re ready to be stripped right into tomato sauces, meat dishes, etc./Vivian


Traditional Basil Pesto



Serves 4

1 deciliter Oil
50 gram roasted Pine Nuts
2 - 4 large coarsely chopped Garlic
5 handfuls fresh Basil leaves
Roughly 50 g grated, fresh Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp Salt

Blend everything together evenly. Pesto can be eaten with everything from past with shrimp, to pizza and new potatoes to sandwiches and with salads, etc.

Enjoy..!

3 comments:

  1. Danke für das leckere Rezept!!!Belinda from the shabby Garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pesto. Just loved it, Kiss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I have a healthy basil plant but have never made pesto.

    ReplyDelete