Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A New Favorite

These days we're working on the layout for our second recipe book.

Boy, does it make you hungry and snackish when it's time to look through all the recipes. And you really have a chance to broaden your horizons when you're forced to work with some ingredients and taste things that maybe you're not a huge fan of.

I personally felt like I was quite the food lover and would eat almost anything. But I have to admit now that this wasn't the case before I started working on food articles. There are actually several things that I always thought I didn't really like and thus neatly avoided when cooking.

One of those ingredients is mussels. Sure, I've had them in paellas in Spain but I didn't really enjoy them. I have to say that this all changed when Lonnie and I were doing a photo shoot with Anette from Ezpace. She made the most amazing Moules à la Crème – a dish that she has brought to Denmark through her husband's French family.

From that day on I had a new favorite dish! And imagine if I hadn't been thrown – or gently pushed – into trying it that day? Then I'd still be walking around thinking I didn't like mussels.
Here's the recipe... Bon Appétit! /Vivian



Moules à la Crème

Amount for 4 people

6 lbs (3 kg.) fresh Mussels – Approx. 1.5 lb (750 g) per person
½ bottle White Wine
1 tbsp Herbes de Provence
5 Bay Leaves
1 Shallot, chopped
4 cloves of Garlic
2 tbsp Butter
1 tsp Curry
2 tbsp Flour
2 C (500 ml) Heavy Cream
2 C (500 ml) Crème Fraiche or Sour Cream
Salt and Pepper
Fresh Parsley

Steam the mussels in white wine and Herbes de Provence together with bay leaves, chopped shallots and minced garlic until the mussels have opened up. Remove from the pot using a perforated ladle and set aside to cool. Simmer the stock to reduce by half. Remove the part of the shell to which the mussels aren’t attached. Make a roux by melting the butter, adding the curry to sauté briefly and then whisking in the flour. Stir in the stock from the mussels along with cream and crème fraiche. Bring to a boil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add plenty of parsley and return the mussels to the pot just before serving.

The smell is simply incredible as is the taste...

Arrange on small platters or plates. Don’t place any silverware on the table. Use the shells as your ”spoon” and eat the bread on the side – in true French style. Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

  1. Gleder meg masse til den kommer:)
    Ser bare herlig ut som den første:)
    Ha en herlig dag
    Klem Merete

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the recipie by the way

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummyyy!! i had them in a restaurant by the beach in Agay (france) them were soooo delcious!!

    ReplyDelete