Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Summer issue

I think it must be something that happens as we get older – reminiscing; becoming a bit – or a lot – nostalgic and at times melancholy. That’s how I felt as I was looking through the photos for this issue of the magazine. All of a sudden, all of these memories of my childhood appeared in my mind.
Images from days gone by when the sky was always blue and summers were definitely much warmer. One of the plants that I associate with the Danish summer – and with my childhood – is field scabious.
I’ve picked many bouquets of this wildflower on our walks along the sea in western Jutland, where I come from. My grandmother and my mother taught me the joy of picking wildflowers from an early age. We never went for a walk in the woods, by a lake or by the sea without picking something or other. Rushes could be dried and wildflowers tied into the most wonderful bouquets. And it wasn’t an infrequent occurrence that we practically put our lives on the line climbing and reaching for the most impassable spots. We often used field scabious to make wreaths for our hair or just small bouquets for grandma’s pretty glass vases. All of us who love flea markets and wonderful old treasures also collect old glassware to some extent, including our new writer and editorial colleague Rikke Vinter. She’s been working with old items and running stores selling these for many years. If anyone is a collector, it’s definitely her and there’s hardly a thing that she doesn’t happen to have in her car or at home. When she was assigned to do the research for the article on old glass, it turned into a far-reaching as well as surprising project. Check out the article to see what she discovered while enjoying the amazingly beautiful photos, which will hopefully inspire you to bring your own glassware to light.

Enjoy your summer! /Vivian




No comments:

Post a Comment